Snatching on a full stomach

99% of the time, my stomach agrees with Korean food. The other 1% of the time… not so much.

Today was a combination of the leftover lack of nutrition from a weekend of less than conscientious eating. I devoured half of a really shitty pizza for Sunday night dinner, and have been paying for it all day. Lunch was less than awesome, I’m pretty sure food poisoning is deliberately on our caterer’s menu from time to time. I drank around 1.5 litres of water over the course of the afternoon, and then chomped my way through my favourite dinner of pork bbq with Korean side dishes wrapped in lettuce.

Needless to say, when I got to the gym, I felt like a stuffed pig. One that had been stuffed, skewered, and was slowly roasting over glowing coals. My trainer said “warmup 2km row, go” while he was finishing up with the last group. I jumped on the erg and thought, alright, ready or not.

Finished the row in 8:14, and was immediately instructed to do three rounds to warmup of 10 pullups, 10 pushups, and 10 overhead squats with the PVC pipe. Strapping myself into the purple band for the pullups, I knocked out the three rounds pretty quickly.

Nausea was mounting, and although I didn’t want to admit defeat, I had to tell my trainer that I was feeling all shades of green. He told me to suck it up. “Focus, Kathryn”.

No problem, let me just hit the bathroom first.

Working on my dumbbell snatch, 3 sets of 10 reps @ 10kg, 18kg, and 20kg, I was prescribed a WOD of 4 rounds for time of 10 dumbbell snatches followed by broad jump burpees that spanned the room. Maintaining dignity and not giving the other trainer’s any further cause to raise eyebrows as I dart in and out of the room, I managed to pull through my stomach woes and finish my hour workout.

Yet another day where I can say with complete confidence that the trick to CrossFit, is solid nutrition. Eating with balance through a conscientious diet while maintaining focus on the fact that your workout will be horrendous if you haven’t eaten the right fuel. And really, it’s not a trick at all. CrossFit is simple math. Energy in = energy out.

Tomorrow’s another day. Zone anyone?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s